What I do now:
- Live with parents.
- Use supermarket circulars.
- Pick up change.
When your jar fills up, take a friend to the bank with you…the free change sorter at Commerce makes for a fun trip. Especially if you win a prize for guesstimating within $1.99 of your total.
- At-home manicures / pedicures.
- A safe car with good gas mileage.
- Group errands.
e.g. going to the supermarket, library, or bank that’s on the route home after work
- Bring lunch to work.
- Direct deposit paycheck.
- Contribute to 401(k).
- Automatic Savings Plans.
- Use public library.
- Pay credit cards in full each month.
- Use cash rebate credit card.
Only a good deal for those who don’t carry balances! But I hear the 5% cash rebate days with Citi Dividend Platinum are over even though I haven’t received any notices…I’m eyeing the Citi Professional now, but I’m still holding out “in case.” (PTF)
- Pay bills online.
I made $5 signing up for online credit card statements…however, read the caveat in a later post! (PTF)
- One “spending” ATM visit per month.
- My shopping system. (PTF)
- Buy clothes in basic colors.
- Use digital camera.
- “Family Plan” cell phone.
What I should do:
What I should do more:
- Eat in.
- Explore Salvation Army.
- Invite friends to volunteer with me.
We’d save $ together, get to spend time together, and worthy causes benefit – it’s a win-win-win situation! (e.g. NY Cares)
There’s no feeling more empowering than knowing that you are in control of your money…so I’m working on it!